How to get rent arrears (tenant on benefits)
Rent Arrears

0 Thanks
37 Posts
15 years ago
Hi, I recently regained possession of my property by way of a bailiffs warrant. The tenant was on benefits, it is a complicated case but could you answer two specific points to be going on with please.
Initial payments were sent to the tenant bt housing benefits to the tune of about £750.00. The council have confirmed that these cheques were cashed, the tenant has always maintained (verbally) that she returned them (yeah, right!!)Point is ,I never recieved any of it!

Q.1. Do I have any case for asking the council to pay this missing money to me?

The tenancy ended on 7th April this year. The tenant was told by the council that I would need to get a bailiffs warrant before she had to get out, and they would not rehouse her until I did so (they confirmed this to me on the phone and by letter) from previous correspondence with you i believe they were wrong in telling her this (Khan-v-Newham Council)

Q.2. Once again do I have a case for asking the council to reimburse me for loss of rent for this period or any other compensation ?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.