Rent Arrears

Member Martin Mac
Member Martin Mac
0 Thanks
8 Posts
11 years ago
I rented my property out to a young tenant on the 14th December 2012. I didn't do any checks on her. She initially paid me 550 pounds rent and 250 deposit. She signed a 6 month assured tenancy agreement. On the 14th January she had no money, and said she couldn't pay me until 1st February.
On the 1st February I had a text message saying her Grandad had died. Her boyfriend contacted me on the 7th February and gave me 500 pounds. A week later his girlfriend gave me 300 pound. Since then, everytime I call at the house the blinds are closed and they do not answer the door.
They are a month in arrears and I am starting to worry, as I tracked down her previous rented address and the LANDLADY told me that they owed her 2 months rent, never let her in the house and then did a midnight flit. I now would like them to leave my property but I'm not sure which forms to issue them with to start proceedings. I have never met a young couple come out with excuses and long tall stories, but as I'm new to letting, I'm learning fast.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.