tenant owes £2000+ in rent what action do I need to take?
Rent Arrears

1 Thanks
27 Posts
13 years ago

I have a tenant who rent my property off me, they have been renting my house since 2006. It was originally a working couple with 2 children, sadly one of the tenants passed away, causing the other to be unable to work.

They claim housing benefit which was being paid directly to them selves. The remaining tenant has now got behind on the rent owing me over £2000.

I have spoken to the housing benefit and they have said they will pay me directly but this is only for £200 out of the £600 per month.

I am unsure what action to take now, as this is not the first time we have had rent arrears. I do not think my tenant will be able to pay me the outstanding debt never mind any future payments.

Any advise, help would me much appreciated, as to what action I should take going forward.

Kind regards

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.