Tax for a resident landlord
Tax Planning and Financial

0 Thanks
6 Posts
12 years ago
I rent out 2 of the rooms in my house. Last year I used the rent-a-room scheme discount to offset my tax however this year I've had significant expenditure to repair fencing and walls in the house and want to use that to offset the income as it will likely be more efficient.

My question is, how much of the expenditure can I offset. Is it 100% or a proportion based on how much of the house is let out (and if so, is that a proportion based only on the no. of bedrooms let or the proportion of the house that they have access to?)?

Many thanks!

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.