Would property be "Uninhabitable" for council tax purposes?
Tenancy Deposits

1 Thanks
42 Posts
15 years ago
We are now in charge of my deceased father's 2 flats in one house in Ilford. The top floor tenant left 18 months ago and council tax has had to be paid in full for the last 12 months.(£122 per month) to Redbridge Council. Have tried getting 25% reduction which you'd get if only 1 person was living there but they say we can't have that for 0 person living there as we already had a full 6 months at NIL being paid.

We have been busy from living at a distance in the Midlands trying to organise a complete refurb. It has never had central heating etc etc. We are now getting quotes in from builders which have astounded us eg between £40,000 and £50,000 with VAT for a 2 bed flat. These cost do not even include things such as carpets/blinds or any kitchen equipment or furniture. They say eg it needs a complete replaster in every room.

There continues to be a happy tenant in the downstairs flat.

Redbridge Council previously said as long as it has got water then it is inhabitable and full council tax is payable!

Is there any way out of this? Preferably without a fight with the Council!!

We are now considering whether we should pay a builder to take out toilet/bath/sink and all present kitchen taps plumbing etc - gut it completely - and then call it a day - ie not hope to rent it out.

Could we then call it "UNinhabitable"??

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.