Do I agree dispute amount before I contact the DPS?
Tenancy Deposits

1 Thanks
10 Posts
15 years ago
The situation is the tenant left the property 3 months into an AST agreement (6 months) without my permission as landlord, didn't pay the rent, didn't return the keys and left no forwarding address.

He has now returned the keys and says he has no intention of returning to the property and also provided us with a forwarding address.

The £500 deposit is held in the DPS but we are out of pocket by just over this amount (loss of rent, change of locks, keys, advertising for replacment tenant and cleaning etc).

I've not had to dispute a deposit before, do I write to the tenant with the costs and receipts, get them to agree to it or just go straight to the DPS?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.