Service Charge / Maintenance
Tenancy Types and Management

Amatuer Landlord
Amatuer Landlord
3 Thanks
61 Posts
14 years ago
I have a few flats in a block and have an 'issue' over some proposed work and recently carried out work.

We have received 'Notice Of Intention To Carry Out Work' to drain gulleys in the carpark area. I understand the Management Co have to issue this notice if they anticipate the cost to each tenant to be in excess of £250 - there are 24 flats!

There is no specific mention in the Lease of where the tenants obligations begin or end in relation to the outside common areas - only that the Landlord must maintain "the main entrances, lifts, passages landing and staircases and other parts of the building so enjoyed or used by the Lessees and the garden boundary walls and fences of the building".

There was also a very large tree in the carpark area that was removed at a cost of £2000 to the service charge account.

My question is do I have a legal right to challenge the cost of repairs/maintenance to the gardens/carpark area when there is no specific mention (other than that noted above) in the lease as to who is responsible for maintenance of this area?


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.