deposit does not cover cost of tenant damage
Tenancy Types and Management

1 Thanks
6 Posts
12 years ago

My tenant has caused £6300 worth of damage to my property, but I only took a £900 depsit from him. He has released his deposit to me and I have also managed to get a further £1478 from him, but I am still nearly £4000 out of pocket.

The damages include a carpet with over 15 cigarette burns in it, a sideboard with smashed drawers, deep gouges in a tv unit, many items missing against the initial inventory (bedside cabinet, cutlert, plates, wallmounted clock, artwork, saucepans, cushions, etc), burn marks on a built in shelving unit, a collapsed divan bed, chips out of the corian kitchen surface, etc, etc. the property had to be fully redecorated but I could not afford to replace the carpet and furniture, so I have patched them up as well as I could.

I now have a new tenant in occupation am now trying to get the remaining money from the outgoing tenant so that I can make good the remainder of the property.

Can you please advise on my options? is it a matter of simply taking him to court or are there other ways of getting the money. Also, if I do go to court what are my chances of getting the money? The furniture was not brand new but it certainly needs replacing now to bring the prperty back to the fantastic state it was in at the commencement of the tenancy.

I should have mentioned that I found some cannabis in the property after the tenant had left. He is a foreign student (probably with a visa).

many thanks


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.