Landlord Insurance

0 Thanks
2 Posts
15 years ago
As landlord of a rented house, I insure the building and the contents. The contents insurance for £20K is intended to cover my own contents and not necessarily the tenants contents - in fact I have no knowledge of the nature or value of the tenants contents.
I notice that there is nothing in the RLA AST agreement to require or even recommend that the tenant insures their own possessions. Is there a reason for this apparent omission?
In the event of an accident attributable to the landlord eg a fire caused by an electrical fault or a flood caused by a burst watermain, would the tenant be in a position to claim from the landlord the value of any of their possessions destroyed by the fire or flood?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.