10 Thanks
430 Posts
16 years ago
If there is damp in a residential property which is let out, the problem is covered by two areas of law. Firstly, a landlord is obliged under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, to keep the property in proper repair. If the tenant has a damp problem and it is not addressed properly, he may bring a claim against the landlord under this Act. Damp also comes under the remit of the environmental health office of the local authority, via the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, introduced on 6th April 2006. The local authority will visit and inspect properties on request, and if they fail to meet the requirements of the HHSRS, they can serve notice on the landlord requiring him to carry out remedial work. Inspections under HHSRS will obviously take other matters into consideration.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.