Council tax

0 Thanks
5 Posts
15 years ago
I have an old (Edwardian) house on 3 floors conerted to 6 self contained flatlets - previously used as holiday flats, plus 1 self contained flat - previously the owners accommodation. Only the flat has a separate kitchen, but all the flatlets have a cooker, shower & toilet as you would expect from previous holiday flatlets, though two are only of bedsit size. The flat & all the flatlets are rented out on short term lets. I do not occupy any part of the building myself.

My question is:
If the building is an HMO (which it may be under the 1991 Building regulation condition, have I grounds to pay council tax as a SINGLE building rather than on each unit separately? The council are currently asking for band A tax for each individual unit. I am reluctant to attempt to get HMO classification if it means I will need a licence, but will still have to pay the per unit council tax anyway.

Your advice most appreciated

Mike Craft

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.