tenant wishing to claim benefits

0 Thanks
6 Posts
15 years ago
Hi There
I have a tenant who rents one of my studio flats since the last 5 months, she was self employed and wanted me to pay the council tax for the flat and include it in the rent.The rent also includes all bills, She is now out of work and going to have an operation and cannot afford to pay the rent and asked to terminate the contact on 1st Feb 09 but has now decided she wants to stay and claim benefits. I do not know if i should let her stay or give her a new tenancy agreement with the rent including the bill but not the council tax...this should be in her name if she is to claim council tax relief. The council tax is in my name as i was concerned she may not pay it hence why i pay the bills so i know they have been paid. I only let my properties to working people and have never dealt with benefit claim tenants,her agreement runs out on 15th Febuary 09 should i let her stay until then or ask her to vacate on 1st Feb as she wanted or should i give her a new agreement with the break down of costs? Pls advise as i do not want any problems to arise.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.