Housing Benefit Overpayment

0 Thanks
13 Posts
16 years ago
Wonder can you help? we received an invoice in January from our local council demanding overpayment of housing benefit which occured between 03/04/2000 - 01/04/2001, the only information contained on the form was the Tenants name &the property address (as it was so long ago we no longer have any details relating to this person). I wrote to the Council requesting a breakdown &how the overpayment occurred. Firstly I was under the impression that the council must give these details and secondly must give us 28 days to appeal so would like to clarify has the law changed so that they can just make demands like this? I've also been told that they cannot go back further then 6 years but is this the case with the council? I eventually recieved a snotty response to my letter which stated that the tenant vacated the property on the 07/11/00 but the Benefit Service were not informed by the Department of Work &Pensions until 21/01/08 (8 years!) and that if the tenant vacated without informing us then it was a contractual matter. Can you please point me in the right direction. Thanks Karen Greene

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.