What do I need to do to qualify?
HMO Licensing

0 Thanks
10 Posts
13 years ago
I have a large 5 bedroom house over two floors, which the council have inspected and confirmed does not need a HMOL. It is let to sharers.

However, I have two further rooms in the loft. These were made into rooms by the previous owner over ten years ago, with windows at either end, but it was not done in compliance with building regs. There is a proper staircase up to the rooms, albeit a bit steep, and a fire door at the bottom. When I lived in the house myself I used it as a bedroom/office for several years.

I understand that I will need to install a mains operated fire alarm/emergency lighting system and probably fire doors on the four bedrooms on the first floor landing.

Is there likely to be any other problems I need to address to get a licence?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.