Local Housing Allowance

0 Thanks
15 Posts
14 years ago
i have a 2-bed house which i rent to a long-standing tenant under an AST for £70pw (paid by the council as housing benefit / local housing allowance, call it what you will), which i know is cheap. Recently, my tenant has fallen ill & now has had his son move in with him as his carer.His son receives a carers allowance etc & the housing benefit dept are aware that he now lives there.
I asked the council recently what the Local Housing Allowance would now be on this house based on the new circumstances & this is the reply I received below:

The Local Housing Allowance Rate applicable to this claim is £138 per week. We cannot pay more that £15 a week more than the rent charged and your tenants weekly entitlement to Housing Benefit from 13/4/09 is £85 per week (rent £70 plus £15) From 13/4/09 onwards you will be paid £70 per week and your tenant £15 per week.

For the period 30/3/09 - 13/4/09 your tenants weekly entitlement to Housing Benefit was £87 per week - the payment was split between yourself and your tenant - your were paid £70 per week and your tenant £17 per week.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this means? Does it mean that I can seek a rent increase to £138 per week? If so, how do I do it?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.