Avoiding problems for rent-free occupation.

0 Thanks
5 Posts
12 years ago
I look after my mother(91) who has alzheimer's. Her house is now vacant and furnished and 2hours drive away. We are going to let a reliable friend (female,30,single)live there rent-free but paying for the bills & so have a presence in the house hoping it will be more secure. She is moving to the town to take up a hospital post. I antipate she will pay us for the bills which will continue in my mothers name & paid as standing orders.

Medium term(6-12months) we want to renovate & let the property but all family items & furniture have to be sorted first & we haven't got lots of time now.

My question is what do we need to put in place compared to a normal letting?

for example:

a written statement of intention on both sides?

gas certificate?

would either side have any rights without a contract/agreement?

Any other comments appreciated.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.