Police authorising works to secure property after burglary

0 Thanks
1 Posts
9 years ago

Not sure if you can help with this matter but my retal property was broken in to this week when the tenant was away for the night. A neighbour called the police who attended and arranged for an outside priavte contractor to secure the premises by boarding up half of the door. I've now been hit for an invoice totalling £217.96 by the contractor.
I've disputed the invoice as I have had no contractual agreement with the contractor and not agreed to their terms of business. As a show of good faith, I have offered £30 for materials as this is what I would have incurred had I of been notified at the time. They have refused to accept this offer and said they don't know what to do now I'm refusing to settle in full.
I informed them that they would have to take legal action against me for the invoice should they wish.
I understand that the police have a duty of care/obligation to secure the premises before leaving but given the local council hold my details on record, I should have been informed and given the option.
My question is, Can this private contractor legally enforce the invoice on me given I did not agree to the works?

Thanks for you help


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.