Rent Arrears
Rent Arrears

john cooper
john cooper
0 Thanks
34 Posts
10 years ago
I went to see my tenant yesterday who is late (by 16 days to date) with his rent. He claims he has had problems with his housing benefit but would be sorted out today. While at the property he and his partner were quite argumentative and I did not feel comfortable there. I quickly left but not before serving a Sec. 21 notice and said that provided the overdue rent was in my bank account by the end of the day I would revue whether to rescind the notice (however I am minded to get rid of them as I do not need the aggravation).

I suspect he is not going to pay and was wondering where I go next.

1. Should I start legal proceedings now to recover the debt so far or wait until I have the property back?

2.Should I start legal proceedings against the guarantor (his mother) or the tenant (there is probably more chance of getting the money from her as she has assets and is working)

3. If the answer is yes to either of the above, should I use a solicitor or debt collection agency

4. If you recommend a letter to the guarantor how would you recommend I word it?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.