S21A or S21 (4a) or other?
Possession - Section 8 and Section 21

0 Thanks
46 Posts
10 years ago
My tenant is sub-letting one of the properties in my flat, without informing me. She only told me last week that she gets 400 quid from sub-letting the room. My tenant also pays rent late; in fact has not paid rent in September too! She recently told me she is claiming housing benefit, even though her partner is working (partner is not on the contract).

I issued S21a on 17.9.2011 (one day after the AST was signed on 16.9.2011), with notice expiry after 15th March 2012. However, I have allowed them to continue living there with no new contract/paperwork signed. However, I only recently sent them a letter in early September stating that I want my property back (based on the S21a served on 21.9.2011)

However, if I was to go down the sub-letting route, does this give me the opportunity to go down the accelerated route for re-possession? In which case which form do I have to fill in?

Also, what are the best ways to prove sub-letting? The boiler specialist saw the sub-let occupant, as well as me. Would I need additional proof like photo of a letter addressed to her intact in the envelope? She does get a lot of mail let in the porch.

Advice gratefully received.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.