Tax Return
Tax Planning and Financial

Charlotte Cc
Charlotte Cc
1 Thanks
37 Posts
10 years ago
I am currently completing my tax return and wondered if someone could clarify something for me?
I have have been renting out a property which required work to be done to it before I began letting so I am putting all he work through as expenditure but should things like a new kitchen go through as capital spend?

In addition to this all costs relating to getting the property I.e solicitor fees, mortgage fees etc they're ok to go through? But the actual deposit needed to secure the mortgage cannot? Is that right?

Also the property is in joint names and so will need to go on both our tax returns so do we just simply split the profit 50/50 and that's what goes on tax return?

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.