Housing Benefit tenant moved without giving notice
Housing Benefit Overpayment

0 Thanks
10 Posts
10 years ago
Hi,can you kindly advise what process I need to follow for a possible abandonment. I received a letter from my councils housing benefit team advising that my tenants HB had been suspended from the 27th January whilst the council applied for proof of income/benefit. I haven't had any contact with him for a while so haven't received a notice to quit.

I have left notes under his door to contact me, but am yet to receive a reply; and the phone number he gave me is no longer in service. I left another note there at the beginning of the week, giving 48 hours notice of my intension to enter his room. He didn't have any furniture but his TV was still there and a few items of clothing. It doesn't look like he has been there for a few weeks so there is a very good chance that he has moved on.

I have 2 questions please:

1. What procedure/process do I need to follow before regaining possession. Do you have an abandonment letter template please; and

2. Is there a chance I can get the council to cover the housing benefit for 4 weeks from the 27th January due to not receiving any notice; as per the 4 week HB overlap; where both landlords can receive 4 weeks HB for the tenant to secure a new tenancy giving notice on one property whilst moving to another..!!

Many thanks

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.