Tenants divorcing
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
1 Posts
11 years ago
A flat we own is currently let to a couple. Recently, the husband phoned me to say that they were divorcing and that he had left the flat and wanted his name taking off the tenancy agreement. Upon asking how the rent would be paid, he said that he would not contribute to it and that his wife would have to claim housing benefit.

I am unsure whether to draw up a new TA in just the wife's name or to leave it as it is - that is, do I have to do one or the other? Is the husband still responsible to pay the rent even if he is not living there? The TA is the standard RLA one and it runs until December.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.