Query - Mrs Taylor-Young

0 Thanks
1 Posts
10 years ago
I've just taken over the management of our property in Leeds. We used an agent to find the tenant. We have moved away so aren't as available to drop in anymore. There are a few bits of maintenance work being highlighted which we're happy to do but it would be helpful if the tenant could support with providing access to service engineers when needed. She's stated that the agent suggested there should be a key holder available to let people in and out for repairs. Obviously this s a bit difficult for us being 200 miles away and I haven't been able to identify anyone yet who could take on that role on our behalf. What is our actual position on this? I'm presuming it just relies on good relationship with the tenantor do I have to provide a local key holder?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.