Landlord obligation when property uninhabitable due to flood

4 Thanks
23 Posts
9 years ago
A flat I manage (ground floor) has been flooded due to a burst "the wrong side of the stop tap" This resulted in 9" of standing water before fire brigade arrived together with water company to isolate the supply. Landlord insurance is in place. The tenant has no insurance. What is the minimum requirement placed on the Landlord? The tenant is asking for full board Dinner bed and breakfast at local hotel plus payment of clothes cleaning bills. (Food because no cooking facility) The flood happened 4 days ago and they are in hotel full board. Loss adjuster is awaited and insurance co say unable to answer my queries. The hotel is full this weekend so I've arranged for B&B 1/4 mile away. They are refusing to go there as they say it's too far away. What is the legal position? They moved in only 1 month ago on 6 month AST. Also what is the position on their damaged goods? Any experienced/definitive advice rather than speculation would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.