Return Of Deposit From DPS
Tenancy Deposits

1 Thanks
31 Posts
10 years ago
Two years ago I had to go to court to evict a non paying tenant. I was successful and the court made an order for him to leave to pay me the rent arrears and costs.
As there was no way of contacting the tenant I applied to the DPS for his deposit to be returned to me. When submitting my clain I made the mistake of telling them that the court had found in my favour and had made an order for him to leave and pay his outstanding rent plus costs.I received a reply from DPS saying that, as the court had made a judgment in my favour, including payment of arrears, they could not return his deposit to me but they would have to suspend it.
I now need to claim that money but am not sure how to proceed. One suggestion put to me was to take the DPS to the small claims cour. Any suggestions/advice?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.