Can a son (non-property owner) assume L/lord's role when parents move to work abroad?
Tenancy Types and Management

1 Thanks
15 Posts
9 years ago
Q1) To help cover household bills in parents' absence, can an adult son, with parents' agreement, assume role of Landlord in letting a room to a tenant/lodger? [since parents, as non-resident, wouldn't be eligible for Rent a Room (RAR)scheme].
OR, would they have to charge him a (below market?) rent and, he in turn, sublet to the tenant?
Q2) Would answer to above be different if there was a mortgage on property?
Q3) Is it legally acceptable to rent a room out at, say, £350 pcm for accommodation (to fall within annual RAR threshold) and then son + tenant separately share utility bill costs? Many thanks.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.