Access for managing agents

0 Thanks
6 Posts
9 years ago
I have damp coming about 2-3 feet up the walls in my flat and the wooden floor is expanding and buckling. The tenant notified me immediately,and after much research it appears to be a fault with a balcony on the fourth floor ( I am on the second floor). Five flats have been similarly damaged. The management company admits this to be the cause and said it had carried out partial repairs, due to be completed last week subject to weather conditions . Now they are saying that they need access to the flat concerned, the tenants are not forthcoming, so they have written to the landlord who lives abroad. All the while we had had violent thunderstorms, I bought a dehumidifier for my tenants, which is useless if water is still coming in, and the whole episode has been going on for over a month. I am conscious that my tenants are living in substandard accommodation and will probably have to move out when repairs finally happen. Can the management company be held responsible for any subsequent financial loss I might, suffer as I believe the tenants will give notice. Additionally, do they not have a right to access the property concerned if repairs are essential and any further delays causes material damage to the properties affected? Can I start a small claim against the tenants/landlord of the property concerned? Any thoughts most welcome..

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.