Expenses and tax

0 Thanks
4 Posts
9 years ago

Recently my Father in Law died and my Mother in Law had to come and live with us as she needs care. Their house was jointly owned and it is the in the sole ownership of my Mother in Law. We decided to rent it but to do so it required a full refurb, new kitchen, bathroom, boiler etc to be acceptable and compliant with regulations. Having spent just under £15K, can I claim for all of this against the rent that is now coming in, or at least part of the costs that were needed to make the property regulation compliant. My Mother in Law does not pay rent to live with us but makes a non profit contribution to her living expenses. The house I assume is still her principal primary residence? so how would I get any tax allowance for the capital costs if we cannot claim some of these against profits.



Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.