Liability of Council Tax if you have 1 professional in a house of students?

0 Thanks
8 Posts
9 years ago
I am aware that if you have a house full of students, this house is exempt from council tax (as long as they have filled-in the council tax exemption form).

I am also aware that a house full or working professionals are liable for council tax.

What i really want to know is, if say 1 student tenant - in a house full of student - finishes their degree and is therefore no longer a student, what will happen regarding council tax? (i.e. does someone have to now pay council tax?)

Also if a student moves into a house which is occupied by professionals (non-student), that student should be exempt. However does this reduce the council tax payable by the non-student/professionals?

Im not very technical so please reply in the most simplest of explainations.


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £85 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.