Ask for direct payment form HB tenant no longer living there?
Housing Benefit Overpayment

nicest landlord
nicest landlord
471 Thanks
1,725 Posts
5 years ago

Can I ask for Housing benefit to be paid to me direct when a tenant has moved out but no yet ended their tenancy?

A guarantor is pressing me to do this but I think the tenant is no longer eligible to claim housing benefit for my property when they are no longer living there. We are waiting for a possession order, weeks after tenant moved out and handed key back. She is defending my possession order claim which suggests she is claiming some sort of stake in the property. But I just don't see how I can ask for direct payment in this situation.

Am I right or wrong?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.