Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) UK Appraisers
This course has been written in collaboration with Appraisers UK and is designed for property surveyors undertaking valuation surveys of HMO property, or those who wish to undertake such surveys. The course is interactive with workshop style exercises. Following completion of the course, delegates will be invited to complete an online assessment within 5 working days.
This course is for organisations on the panel of Appraisers UK only. By booking on the course you confirm that you are employed by one of these organisations.
What we will cover:
- Overview of the definition of HMO
- Landlord repairing obligations
- The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and what a category 1 hazard looks like
- The ‘vulnerable’ tenant group and how Local Authorities assess hazards
- The likely impact of the Fitness Act
- Bedroom sizes and minimum amenity standards
- Fire safety in HMO
- Cohesive and non-cohesive groups
- Council tax definition of a ‘dwelling’
- Scenario based valuation exercises and the key points to consider when approaching the valuation
Valuers will understand the additional legislation placing obligations on HMO landlords in relation to property standards, health and safety, fire safety and room standards and how this impacts on the capital and rental value.
- Valuers who currently undertake HMO work or those wishing to do so