Who can receive housing portion of Universal Credit
Universal Credit

0 Thanks
75 Posts
9 months ago

Family continues to inhabit a property where according to the wife, her husband has left her. The husband is the tenant and the tenancy agreement is with him alone. The wife is a permitted occupier. No rent has been paid for last 11 months and review hearing took place recently but no update as to outcome so far. Wife has made contact with me, the landlord, suggesting that as she is now in receipt of UC containing a portion for housing benefit , she would like to start to start making rent payments. Rent is paid via a lettings agency normally. The lettings agency has declined the proposal to receive rent from the wife given she is not a tenant and raising the question to me, that the `eviction` process may be undermined.
Question - Is it normal she can be receiving UC including the housing benefit portion ? considering she is not a party to the tenancy agreement and only a `permitted occupier` ? Comments welcome. Thank you

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.