What we will cover:
- S11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 - explaining the basic repairing obligations
- Defective Premises Act 1972 - how tenants can seek compensation if they suffer injury, harm or loss
- Environmental Protection Act 1990 - where properties are deemed 'prejudicial to health'
- The Housing Health and Safety Rating System, Housing Act 2004 - the Local Authority risk based approach to assessing properties for hazards
- Overview of gas, electrical and fire safety
- Tenants behaving in a 'tenant like manner'
- How to obtain access for repairs
- Understand the key legislation surrounding property standards
- Identify the requirements for your own properties to ensure they comply with the law
- Outline the landlord and tenants responsibilities
The health and safety standards for rental properties can be a complex area. There are multiple pieces of legislation which place repairing obligations on landlords, several of which are now intrinsically linked to the ability to serve a S21 notice. The course explains the various pieces of legislation and how this applies in practice for landlords and agents of single dwellings.
This training course qualifies for 2 continuous professional development (CPD) points which can help towards or maintain your accreditation with the NRLA. If you are interested in becoming an accredited landlord with the NRLA, CPD points are necessary to achieve that status.
NRLA Accreditation recognises landlords who have agreed to maintain professional standards in the management and maintenance of their rented property and deal fairly and professionally with their tenants. Accredited members demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of their responsibilities and obligations and strive to maintain, increase and improve their knowledge of the market through training and development. CPD points are awarded for all activities which improve those attributes and are a requisite of membership of the NRLA Accreditation Scheme.
For more details visit the accreditation section on the website.
- All landlords
- Agents with full repairing contracts of single dwellings