Help please ! Change of room and monthly price

Paul  F L
Paul F L
0 Thanks
24 Posts
1 year ago

Hi all,

Im not sure what i need to do here.

I have a tenant who has been with me over a year and pays faithfully. He is self employed tattoo artist. However due to Covid he has lost his income. He is renting a room that cost £500 a month and has a deposit of £575.

The tenant has made a claim for benefits and its been accepted and he has made his rent payment of £500 albeit a 5 days late due to the date his benefits are paid .

He wants to move to a larger room that is normally rented for £545 per month.

I have signed an RLA contract that has now gone on to periodic contract with him. He also has his mother as guarantor.

How can i move him into the new bedroom ? I would like to keep him on the periodic tenancy and i would like to keep the guarantor in place. The guarantor staying in place is what i am most concerned with .

The contracgs signed are RLA contracts and using TDS Deposit guard versions.

I realise i will have to protect the deposit again.

Can i do this with just the addendum ? Do i need to get the guarantor to sign the addendum ? or do i need a complete new contract guarantor contracts etc ? I am not confortable signing a new tenancy agreement giving him 6 months because i realise he is just managing to pay the rent from his benefits and im not sure he can afford the increase rent . He said he can but im not sure.

So i dont want to move him into the bigger room then be lumbered with a problem .. I realise i can use section 8 and i realise i cant evict for 3 months regardless anyway ?

What is the best way for me to proceed please ?


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.