Requirement for a Rent Book

Full House
Full House
0 Thanks
3 Posts
2 weeks ago

Good day,

I am a hmo landlord seeking clarification in the matter of tenant rent-books.

1. LEGISLATION.GOV.UK - LANDLORD & TENANT ACT 1985 states - Where a tenant has a right to occupy premises as a residence in consideration of a rent “payable” weekly, the landlord shall provide a rent book or other similar document for use in respect of the premises.

2. A Landlords’ Association website claims -

A rent book is required –

where the rent is “described in the tenancy agreement as being paid weekly”


where the rent is actually paid weekly by agreement irrespective of the wording of the agreement.

3. CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU site states - if you have a weekly tenancy (not a fixed term or monthly tenure), your landlord must provide a rent book or similar document.

Item 1. is unclear to me in that I cannot determine the applicable meaning of the word “payable”, more than one notion being possible.

Item 2. States clearly that it is the actual payment routine that defines the requirement.

Item 3. States as clearly that only in the case of a weekly tenancy is the requirement established.

In that maintaining a payment book is an archaic idea and further, a laborious duty, it is undesirable and I can vouch for both landlord and tenant in this regard.

Can you clarify please.

My thanks,

David Payne

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £75 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services join now.