Notice to Quit


Most tenancies in the private rented sector are assured shorthold tenancies. These agreements can be ended by the landlord serving a Section 8 or Section 21 notice. These are notices seeking possession meaning the tenancy does not end on the expiry of the notice and therefore the rent continues to be due. Instead, these notices give the landlord the right to apply to court for a possession order to end the tenancy. 

However, where your tenancy is not an assured or assured shorthold tenancy then it is likely to be a non-assured or common law tenancy instead.

These tenancy agreements grant the occupiers with 'basic protection' meaning that you can only enforce the end of the tenancy via a court order. If the tenancy is periodic you will also have to provide sufficient notice to end the agreement before you can apply for this court order.

To provide sufficient notice you will need to serve a notice to quit rather than a Section 21 or Section 8 notice.

Notice to Quit Form

While the notice to quit does not come in a prescribed form there are certain things that it must contain. To help our members ensure that their notice is valid, the NRLA has produced a Notice to Quit exclusively for our members use.

Members only

Log in to download this
Log In