Local authority powers for dealing with property conditions

On This Page


If a local authority is satisfied that they need take action due to a breach of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), they have a number of different options at their disposal, including compelling the landlord to improve the property via an improvement notice or doing the work themselves where emergency remedial action is required. The options available will vary depending on the severity of the hazards.

This guidance is designed to provide a short summary of the options available, what they mean and when they may be used.

Hazard awareness notices

The most commonly used option is the hazard awareness notice. This is an advisory notice alerting the owner of the property to the existence of category 1 and 2 hazards in the property. It cannot compel you to do the recommended works to the property.

How can I tell I have a hazard awareness notice rather than an improvement notice?

Members and guests only

Log in to read this
Log In
Sign up for a free guest membership to read this
Sign Up

Please also find a link to our Privacy Notice.