Making adaptations to your property

On This Page


The private rented sector provides homes to a wide range of tenants. This includes disabled or older tenants, and those with additional needs. The number of UK households headed by a person aged 65 years or older is set to double by 2046.  With the sector now the second largest housing tenure in the UK, it is increasingly important that more privately rented homes are suitable for tenants with access needs.  

The NRLA have launched adaptations guidance for landlords. The first of its kind, the guidance was developed with the support of expert partners, and aims to support landlords in better managing tenant requests for home adaptations.  

Why should I make adaptations in my property? 

There is a growing demand for adapted properties and a greater need for homes to be accessible to those with impairments. With an ageing population, and an increased share of total housing stock, private landlords need to be ready to cater for a wider range of needs than they traditionally have. 

The demand for adapted and accessible properties in the private rented sector is set to continue to rise over the coming decades. By considering adaptations, landlords open their market to disabled tenants and others who may have additional needs, many of whom are seeking long term homes. 

Who pays for it? 

Landlords are not required to fund adaptations but are responsible for providing permission for the adaptation to be made. However, self-funding is an option that you can exercise as landlord if you wish. 

In England, local councils provide funding for adaptations. Minor adaptations are normally funded by social care services and major adaptations through a Disabled Facilities Grant. In Wales, small adaptations are normally funded supported by council social care services or the Rapid Response Adaptations Programme, and medium and large adaptations are usually funded by a Disabled Facilities Grant. 

Funding for adaptations may also come from local council discretionary grants and grants from a Home Improvement Agency. 

Will there be disruption?  

Minor adaptations tend to be the most frequent type of work and both these and other straightforward adaptations can usually be completed when your tenant is in-situ. It is only in exceptional cases that a tenant would need to be moved temporarily. If this is the case, the local council may be able to assist with arranging temporary accommodation, including providing funding. 

Further resources 

Adaptations in the Private Rented Sector campaign page 

You can download our Adapting the Private Rented Sector report here 

Adapting the Private Rented Sector

Last updated: 23/03/2021 at 09:31 - 3.48 MB


Our guidance was produced in partnership with: 

Abode Impact  


Age UK 

Alzheimer’s Society 

Branch Properties Accessibility Specialists 

Centre for Ageing Better 

Chartered Institute of Housing 


Golden Lane Housing 


Nationwide Foundation 

Royal College of Occupational Therapists – Specialist Section Housing