Resident Landlord Agreement

On This Page

What type of tenancy does this agreement create?

Normally, if your tenant lives in your home then you will have a lodgers agreement. If they don't live in your home with you then it will be an assured shorthold tenancy agreement most of the time.

However, there are certain cases where your tenant lives in the same building as you but doesn't share your home. For example, you may have converted your property into two flats with you living in one and your tenant living in the other self-contained flat. In those cases you will have a non-assured tenancy agreement.

Non-assured tenancy agreements operate differently from assured or assured shorthold tenancies in a number of important ways. For example, the deposit does not need to be protected in a government scheme, repossession will usually start by serving a notice to quit instead of a Section 21 or Section 8 notice, and the tenant fee ban does not apply to these type of tenancies.

Unlike a lodgers agreement, these tenancies do grant tenants protection from eviction however, so you will need a court order to remove your tenants if they do not leave after a notice is served.

Resident Landlord Agreement

The resident landlord agreement is designed for use where you live in the same building as your tenant but you do not share living accommodation. It has been designed for use as a non-assured tenancy.

Members only

This content is available to members of the NRLA.

Log in to download this
Log In