Enforcing a County Court Judgement (CCJ)

Last updated 30 September - new fees


Even when a landlord is successful in getting a county court judgement (CCJ) against a tenant or guarantor, they do not always comply with the court's instructions. Considering the cost to the landlord of raising a claim in the first place, this can be a frustrating experience and it is no surprise that many landlords do not proceed to the enforcement stage.

Where landlords do decide to proceed to enforcement they can face a bewildering choice of options for enforcement. The purpose of this guide is to inform you what options are available, and give you some idea which option is best in which circumstance.

If you wish to learn how to start a claim instead, the NRLA provides a separate guide on using Moneyclaim to claim for debts.

Members and guests only

For access to this page you will need to register for an account on the NRLA website. This guide discusses the different options that a landlord will generally use to enforce a judgement, and when to use them. These are -

  • Warrants of control
  • Attachment to earnings
  • Third-party debt order
  • Charging orders
Log in to read this
Log In
Sign up for a free guest membership to read this
Sign Up

Please also find a link to our Privacy Notice.