Tenant Hardship Grants in Wales

Last updated 7th April 2022 - closure of applications


The Tenant Hardship grant is available to PRS tenants in Wales if they are in rent arrears because of covid-19.

If the tenant successfully makes an application for this grant, then the arrears built up because of covid will be paid off via the grant. This money is paid directly to the landlord.

Closure of applications

As of 31 March 2022, applications are no longer being accepted for this grant. Applications made by this date are still being processed though.

Qualifying for the grant

To qualify for this grant, tenants must -

  • have built up 8 weeks or more of rent arrears between 1 March 2020 and 31 December 2021 because of Covid-19; and
  • not be in receipt of housing benefit or the housing component of Universal Credit.

This grant is only available to PRS tenants and they can apply via their local authority.

Applying for the grant

To apply, tenants should email their local authority with the subject line 'THG Support Grant'. The email address for each local authority can be found here.

To complete the application, the tenant will need -

  • proof of ID (a driving licence or a passport or a birth certificate with household bills for the last three months)
  • a copy of their bank statements for at least the past two months (including any saving accounts)
  • a copy of the tenancy agreement
  • evidence and explanation that rent could not be paid because of Covid-19

How can landlords help with an application?

Landlords can assist with this application by signposting their tenants to the application guidance. In addition to this, you may be able to help with supporting documents like replacement tenancies or records showing the tenant had cited covid-19 as the reason for the arrears.

What should my tenant do if they are in arrears but don't qualify for the grant?

If your tenant doesn't qualify for the grant, then they may still qualify for discretionary housing payments. Typically this will be the case if the tenant is in receipt of some form of housing benefit payment. In these cases you should still try to advise the tenant to speak to their local authority as they may be able to make a discretionary housing payment to pay off at least some of the arrears.

Is a similar scheme available in England?

At the present time there is no equivalent scheme in England. However, following NRLA calls, the Government has made available additional funding to local authorities to make more discretionary housing payments. If your tenant is in arrears in England, you should signpost them to their local authority to make an application for DHP.