Islington Council Expansion of Landlord Licensing
HMO Licensing

0 Thanks
1 Posts
1 month ago

Islington council (where I have a 1 bed flat) have decided that all properties need landlord licences.. not just HMO, but the application process for licences to be issued in May this year, is awful.

They are asking for documentation that I don't have (and aren't applicable legally) such as fire certificates (the application forms online look like they're just the HMO ones) but its not clear what's actually required for a single occupancy 1 bed flat vs a large HMO. 

In addition though, they're asking me to send a copy of the signed tenancy agreement. 

Is that even legal? Surely that's a private contract between myself and the tenant and none of their business?

I'm sure I can't get a licence without providing it but it does seem excessive. 

Does anyone have any experience with this already that they can share? 






Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.