Short Term Lodger Paperwork
Tenancy Types and Management

0 Thanks
8 Posts
1 month ago

My son is looking to go away travelling for 5-12 months in September, and as such is considering renting out rooms in his house whilst keeping his room and en-suite locked so he can come and go as required should he come back sooner or between trips.

The question he asked me was what type of tenancy/licence/agreement should he put in place, how easily can he end those arrangements when he returns and any other pitfalls.

Likely income would cover mortgage costs and bills on the assumption he lets rooms on an inclusive basis. 

He hasn't considered lender consent or otherwise.

Worth doing, or not worth the (potential) hassle for less than a few thousand.

All input welcomed! 

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.