small claims court or Deposit Protection service - which route to take?

0 Thanks
33 Posts
14 years ago
has anyone any experience of going to the Small Claims Court, to get a decision to award a deposit to landlord, before approaching Deposit Protection Service, in the hope that it will persuade the DPC to return the deposit to me.

Although the tenant did not contest the arrangement when she left, Im sure if she were approached for agreement she would not agree, and I would therefore lose the money.

this concerns the case of a tenant whom I persuaded to find cheaper accommodation because I could see arrears building up. There was 2 months rent outstanding when she left. (I had lodged £700 with DPC at start of tenancy).

unfortunately, I didnt get her to sign a letter to the effect that the deposit was in lieu of rent not paid.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.