Do I need a deed of surrender?
Possession - Section 8 and Section 21

1 Thanks
2 Posts
12 years ago
Have served my tenant with a S21 notice, expired 31 March. Tenant is generally uncommunicative generally sporadic phone calls & texts. Tenant has acknowedged receipt of S21 (by text), tenant has secured other accommodation and indicated a (degree of) willingness to leave. I would prefer to avoid court unless absolutely necessary, we have a provisional arrangement to meet to handover the property. Tenant proposes leaving some belongings which Tenant can't move, I can live with this and will leave them at the property.

Do I need a deed of surrender to accept the property back without the court order or will a letter signed by the tennant suffice? I can have a witness with me on the day, or could recording proceedings if required.

I propose to have 2 copies of a document on which we will record what furniture she has left and that I have agreed to this and will not look to charge her for removal etc. I thought if we both signed this and kept a copy it would suffice as proof to avoid comebacks later.

If a deed of surrender is required is there a template available?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.