Insurance Damage
Tax Planning and Financial

10 Thanks
430 Posts
16 years ago
If there is disrepair at a rented property as the result of an insurable peril, and the matter is reported to the insurance company with a view to claiming for the damage, there might be a delay in having the repairs carried out as loss adjusters and quotes might be necessary. Unless the disrepair is due to the fault of the tenants, then you, as landlord, are responsible. Unfortunately, therefore, if the disrepair is going to take a long time to sort out with the insurance company, you are liable to the tenants for possible compensation in the form of a reduction in the rent, or re-housing the tenants for the period in which the rented property is uninhabitable. Some insurance companies might, however, cover compensation to tenants as well as the cost of repairs.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.