Shared rooms wth family member
Tax Planning and Financial

1 Thanks
40 Posts
14 years ago
I own a 4 bed property in which my daughter resides.

Three additional bedrooms have been let on a "Shared Rooms" type of agreement. All three are now vacant and expect to be let to professionals.

1. Which type of agreement would best be used for each room and cover the shared facilities (bathroom, kitchen, living room?

2. For tax purposes, does the family member who uses the property as their main residence qualify for the rent-a-room relief of £4250, or is it the property owner in the deeds?

Thanks in anticipation of guidance.

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.