Rent-a-Room Qualifying rule
Tax Planning and Financial

Novice Resident Landlord
Novice Resident Landlord
0 Thanks
6 Posts
13 years ago
HMRC PIM4001 states: "Rent-a-room applies to income from providing furnished residential accommodation in the taxpayer’s only or main home, on or after 6 April 1992. For example, a taxpayer may benefit where they take in a lodger."

So, does it cover the case of a tenant or holiday-let who is not sharing any rooms with the resident landlord? I interpret the reference to a lodger as an example, not a requirement.

I query this because the wording in the Rent-a-Room scheme page is: "You can choose to take advantage of the scheme if you let furnished accommodation in your only or family home to a lodger."

I suspect the latter is only considering the lodger case, and does not rule out the non-lodger.

So is "lodger" a requirement or not?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.