Recovering rent

0 Thanks
11 Posts
12 years ago
My tenant was evicted in December owing over £1900 in unpaid rent. Since then I have recovered some of the rent both from Housing Benefit and the tenant’s mother who has been paying £50 per month to our agent. The mother was not a guarantor but does not want to see her son taken to court.

The agent, who is a member of ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents) has collected £50 each month since January from the tenants’ mother, and has retained their 10% fee and vat before forwarding the rent to me.

The agent has now said that they are unwilling to chase for the rent in the future, and are refusing to give me contact details for either the tenant or his mother.

Can I insist on the Agent giving me the contact details for the tenant and / or his mother? Any other suggestions?

Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.