How to challenge result of DPS deposit adjudication
Tenancy Deposits

1 Thanks
13 Posts
12 years ago
I would like to know how I can challenge a DPS adjudication decision to return a deposit to a tenant.

The tenant was issued a Section 8 notice to vacate because of rent arrears, and the agent checkout report confirmed damages including holes in walls and broken light fittings (£500 to repair). The tenant acknowledged the arrears (£2,500) and suggested we go halves on the deposit (£775). I received half from DPS, the balance was in dispute.

The adjudicator decided in favour of the tenant primarily because I didn't include a copy of the tenancy agreement with my claim (although I do have one, of course). They also said there was no evidence of non-payment of rent (even though adjudicator confirmed receipt of rent statement and Section 8 confirming arrears) or any evidence of damage (even though they confirmed receipt of a report from agent confirming damage).

Is there anything I can do to appeal the decision of the adjudicator?


Please Login

You must be logged in to participate in our forums, to continue please login below.

Not a member? From only £99 you can join in the discussion and get access to member's only resources and services.

As the home for landlords, the NRLA are here to help you save time, save money, and stay compliant. NRLA membership gives you access to a vast range of expertise, resources, and exclusive member benefits and savings, designed to help and empower members. We also play a pivotal role in campaigning and championing the interests of landlords.